Microsoft Picture Manager takes several minutes to load
kwinkel
2005-01-14 21:41:02 UTC
For some reason, when I try to launch Microsoft Picture Manager (Start->All
Programs->Microsoft Office->Microsoft Office Tools->Microsoft Office Picture
Manager), I get the Intro form, but it literally takes the actual application
3-5 minutes to start. Once it starts, it seems to run fine. I am running
windows XP tablet edition and Office 2003. There have been no changes to the
system (hw or sw), and it just started happening. If I open Task Manager I
don't see it listed under applications or under processes (or no process I
could see) - and the system idle process was a 99%. Any ideas whats going on?
Mary Sauer
2005-01-14 22:12:24 UTC
Might be time for a disk cleanup. My computer, right-click the hard drive,
properties, disk cleanup, takes awhile to populate.

Your video driver might need upgrading. Check with the manufacturer's web site

Turn the acceleration down on your adapter, right-click your desktop, properties,
settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab.
--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
jeffreyd26
2005-01-25 23:15:37 UTC
I don't think this problem has anything to do with disk fragmentation,
or video card driver settings.

I experience this same problem too, and in my opinion it has to do with
how Photo Manager remembers your "recently browsed" picture folders.

In my situation I was browsing picture folders in several different
network shares. So Photo Manager would place those network shares in
the shortcuts pane under "recently browsed."

Later on (while I was disconnected from all network shares) I would
start up Photo Manager and that's when I would see the long delay. I
have a feeling that Photo Manager is trying to connect to those network
shares to load the thumbs.db file. It times out after awhile and then
opens up the Photo Manager program.

I think the delay is caused by the timeout this program experiences
while trying to connect to those shares.

Unfortunately there's no way I've found of "clearing" the recently
browsed list. So you'll always experience this slow loading phenomena.

--
jeffreyd26
Mary Sauer
2005-01-26 12:28:59 UTC
Are you using the Picture Manager as your default viewer? You maybe confusing it with
the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
You can disable the thumbnail caching in folder options, view tab.
Clearing your temp cache will rid you of recently opened images, in IE, tools,
Internet Options, delete files.
--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message171027.html
s***@gmail.com
2005-03-07 17:02:36 UTC
I had a problem with Microsoft Office Picture Manager opening slowly.
I found (not on the MS web site) this response:

--------
The solution is to edit the OIScatalog.cag (just an XML file) located
in
C:\Documents and Settings\<yourprofile>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OIS.

Locate tags that begin with "mru path". Delete any that point to bad or
slow locations.
--------

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.office.misc/browse_thread/thread/1dbcb7fb9408c963/514a88a49a78e435?q=%22picture+manager%22+slow#514a88a49a78e435
Mary Sauer
2005-03-07 17:32:01 UTC
Some OIS folders have this file, others don't... I know it is not in my folder, I
assume it is because I don't use the Picture Manager as an associated viewer.
--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
Leon73
2005-04-05 10:19:36 UTC
I have created some vb-scripts to manage this OIScatalog.cag in an
office environment.
We use this logout-scipt to delete the mru-path lines and copy the file
to a users roaming profile. We use this login-script to copy the saved
file back to the local settings section as they logon to another
station.

Leon
----------------------------
logout.vbs
----------------------------
Set objEnv = WshShell.Environment("Process")
set objFS=CreateObject ("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
userprofile = objEnv("userprofile")
username = objEnv("username")
Const ForReading = 1, ForWriting = 2

if ObjFS.FileExists(userprofile & "\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OIS\OIScatalog.cag") then
Set objTextFile = objFS.OpenTextFile (userprofile & "\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OIS\OIScatalog.cag", ForReading)

Do Until objTextFile.AtEndOfStream
strLine = objTextFile.ReadLine
If not Left(strLine, 9) = "<mru path" Then
strNewText = strNewText & strLine & vbCrLf
End If
Loop

objTextFile.Close
Set objTextFile = objFS.OpenTextFile (userprofile & "\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OIS\OIScatalog.cag", ForWriting)
objTextFile.Write(strNewText)
objTextFile.Close

objFS.CopyFile(userprofile & "\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OIS\OIScatalog.cag"), ("\\fileserver\tsprofile$\" &
username & "\Application Data\Microsoft\OIS\OIScatalog.cag"),true
end if
------------------------
login.vbs
------------------------
Set objEnv = WshShell.Environment("Process")
set objFS=CreateObject ("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
userprofile = objEnv("userprofile")
username = objEnv("username")

if ObjFS.FileExists("\\fileserver\tsprofile$\" & username &
"\Application Data\Microsoft\OIS\OIScatalog.cag") then
if not objFS.FolderExists(userprofile & "\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OIS") then
objFS.CreateFolder(userprofile & "\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OIS")
end if
objFS.CopyFile("\\fileserver\tsprofile$\" & username & "\Application
Data\Microsoft\OIS\OIScatalog.cag"), (userprofile & "\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OIS\OIScatalog.cag"),true
end if
d***@googlemail.com
That worked brilliantly for me on Windows 7 too. Had to enable hidden files and then change the path "C:\Users\{profile}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OIS". Removed the entries to networked locations no longer available and life is sweet. Thanks.
j***@gmail.com
2005-03-04 12:57:33 UTC
Picture Manager is slow to start here too I would say it take about
45-60 seconds before the splash screen disapears and the image I've
clicked on finaly shows up.

Disconnecting network drives, clear internet temp folders and clearing
cached thumbnails sounds lame to me.

This is a MS Product you'd think they'd realize that XP caches
thumbnails and scanning network drives at startup was a MAC OS 9 /
Windows 95 problem, and if this application is checking out the IE Temp
folders at startup then all the programers should be made to line up,
forced to drop thier trousers and be publicy flogged!

I'm hoping someone out there figures out what the hell is taking is so
long to startup or I'm just going to install some other third party
Image Viewer.
Mary Sauer
2005-03-04 16:56:47 UTC
The Windows Picture and Fax Viewer maybe be a better choice for you.

It could be your video driver, slide down the acceleration on your video adapter,
right-click the desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot. If
this allows you to open the Manager faster think about upgrading your video driver.

Irfanview www.irfanview.com is a great viewer, fast and free. If you choose to
download it get the plug-ins too, some images need them to open.
--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/