Animated clip art no longer Animated
JWster
2007-06-13 19:13:00 UTC
Please make it so that one has the choice to make an animated clip art
"animated" in an email. Since I've installed Office 2007 animated clip art
is no longer animated and there is no way around this. One should have the
choice.

Thank you
--
JW

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d7118c2d-78aa-41e8-96fa-b1c11deccb09&dg=microsoft.public.design.gallery
Mary Sauer
2007-06-13 21:37:12 UTC
Send your email in HTML, the clip will animate. New, Options, HTML. Insert,
place your cursor in the message pane, browse to your clip.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
JWster
2007-06-19 17:12:01 UTC
I do send my emails in HTML using the method exactly as you described above.
The clips, or .gifs are never animated since using Outlook 2007. Does this
method work for you in 2007 and they are actually animated?
--
JW
Mary Sauer
2007-06-19 21:13:34 UTC
This is from Outlook's help

The animated graphic in my e-mail message doesn't work
Symptoms
When you receive an e-mail message that contains animated graphics, such as
animated .gif files, only a static image appears.

Cause
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 does not display animated graphics files in the
body of e-mail messages. Only the first frame of the animation appears.

Resolution
You can view the message in your Web browser to see the animation.

View an e-mail message in your Web browser
Open the message.
On the Message tab, in the Actions group, click Other Actions.
Click View in Browser.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
Tony Hicks
2008-06-20 17:57:21 UTC
Mary,

I know this is a year late, but I just don't think this response is
sufficient. It does nothing to explain why Microsoft has yet again removed a
feature that is taken for granted as much as spell check. Being able to view
your email as the sender intended should be a given. One shouldn't have to
open their emails in a separate application to enjoy what every other user in
older versions of Outlook and other email applications can enjoy natively.

Instead of a work around which really isn't a work around more like a cop
out. Why not just add the feature back in? Its things like this, along with
illogical and pointless alterations to the UI that keep people hesitant to
upgrade and purchase your products. When you are consistently showing people
that their next upgrade could cost them this feature or that feature, or be
so dramatically different; that your time is spent learning instead of
working you tend to be a little leery when the time comes for the next
"upgrade"

While I'm on my soap box, does Microsoft ever think to ask before yanking
features? I'm sure it would have been a resounding "KEEP IT" if you did.

I don't know if you guys are aware of this or not, but people don't want a
UI shock every time they "Upgrade" their software. I put upgrade in quotes
because things like this give me doubt that it really is an upgrade.

Thanks,
Tony Hicks
Chicago IL
Mary Sauer
2008-06-20 20:40:59 UTC
Hello Tony,

I am only a volunteer.

I suspect this change as with most HTML changes has to do with security.

You might want to consider a different email program or even Outlook Express.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
bluedots
2008-06-24 14:17:06 UTC
I use animated gifs all the time. We are unable to use Flash and I send out
2 e-newsletters every month and rely on animated gifs for effects and real
estate issues.

Please request this feature to be enabled again!

Thanks,
Christine Ramdhani
--
bluedots
winston
2008-08-06 15:21:01 UTC
Does anyone knows why the " view in browser" button stop working? I was using
it ok but one morning it stop working and I no longer able to view mail on
the browser. Where is the setting to enable it again?

desperate, hopeless....
Post by JWster
Please make it so that one has the choice to make an animated clip art
"animated" in an email. Since I've installed Office 2007 animated clip
art
is no longer animated and there is no way around this. One should have
the
choice.
Thank you
--
JW
----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
Mary Sauer
2008-08-06 17:07:58 UTC
Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express? Do you have HTML mail enabled?
Right-click a HTML file, properties, opens with....change, select Internet
Explorer.
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/
Post by JWster
Please make it so that one has the choice to make an animated clip
art
"animated" in an email. Since I've installed Office 2007 animated
clip
art
is no longer animated and there is no way around this. One should
have
the
choice.
Thank you
--
JW
----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow
winston
2008-08-07 01:55:01 UTC
Thanks Mary, how do you know the fixed which is so "OUT OF THE BOX"? Its not
mention anywhere at all and no button in Outlook to enable the view with
Internet Explorer. Looks like some unfinish work on outlook 2007....

I had wasted one full day to resolve this.

Winston
winston
2008-08-12 04:16:06 UTC

It's dead again! I have did as instructed " Right-click a HTML file,
properties, opens with....change, select Internet Explorer. " and it works
for the first time and suddenly it's not working again this morning. Retry
the same routine but This time the procedure has no effect!

What else can I do? Why is it happening so offen?what is the issue? What
cause this on the outlook 2007.

I am about to give up hope on outlook 2007, pls advise how can I switch back
to outlook 2003?

regards
Winston
Mary Sauer
2008-08-12 14:53:19 UTC
Clear your Internet cache, see if that is the solution. If the cache is full you
cannot open some files.
In Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete, delete files.
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/
Hi,
winston
2008-08-13 01:12:18 UTC
Hi Mary,

Thanks for the advise however it still doesn't work. Do you know how I can
dowgrade the outlook back to 2003?

thanks for the advise
Winston
Post by Mary Sauer
Clear your Internet cache, see if that is the solution. If the cache is full you
cannot open some files.
In Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete, delete files.
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/
Hi,
Mary Sauer
2008-08-13 16:20:14 UTC
There are Outlook newsgroups around, you'd be better off asking your question
there.
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general&cat=en_US_db03bd1f-73aa-41e1-abfd-27a6e3c352e5&lang=en&cr=US
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/
Post by Mary Sauer
Clear your Internet cache, see if that is the solution. If the cache is full you
cannot open some files.
In Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete, delete files.
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/
Hi,
bubbah
2009-05-10 23:31:01 UTC
I was happy with outlook 2002 until I reached the 2gb limit so I went for
office 2007 ultimate thinking it will carry me for quite a long time ...I
would have opted just to upgrade to outlook 2003 if I had known of all the
troubles including this animated GIF removal which was one of the fun things
in email ...I think it stinks and would like to get my money back if I could
...I am not happy at all and it is a means towards the end of being more and
more soured on microsoft...
waflynn
John Inzer
2010-03-05 19:02:17 UTC
Post by bubbah
I was happy with outlook 2002 until I reached the 2gb limit so I
went for office 2007 ultimate thinking it will carry me for quite a
long time ...I would have opted just to upgrade to outlook 2003 if I
had known of all the troubles including this animated GIF removal
which was one of the fun things in email ...I think it stinks and
would like to get my money back if I could ...I am not happy at all
and it is a means towards the end of being more and more soured on
microsoft...
======================================
Maybe you can get a refund...see the following site:

Microsoft North American Retail
Product 45-Day Refund Policy
http://tinyurl.com/deb6j
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp
--
J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
waflynn
2010-03-05 18:57:01 UTC
I am running Windows 7 and Outlook 2007.

Having the animated GIF in emails is a Grandfather's delight when
communicating with his grandchildren. Forcing a 6- or 8-year old to open IE
is another step that was never needed before.

Please reconsider and bring this feature back to Outlook.

Thanks!
wwascarter
wwascarter
2010-05-05 18:07:01 UTC
Microsoft is obviously not going to restore the animated .gif feature to
Outlook. If they actually cared, they would have done so by now.

Can anyone recommend an alternative local email client? I've been using
gmail, which does support animated .gif files but it would be nice to be able
to send locally as well, without logging on to an outside email client.
MaGoo
2008-12-10 02:10:01 UTC
I and also disappointed that we cannot send emails with animations>>> what's
this world coming to? That was the nicest thing in Lotus Notes and previous
office products? Why doesn't this work? Very disappointed.

MaGoo
helwoe
2009-02-07 22:34:01 UTC
I just learned that Outlook 2007 does not display animated GIF's. I had this
feature before (Outlook 2003) So this is hardly and "upgrade". I'm
disappointed that the work around is a web browser. So is the user who now
sends email with a GIF supposed to say, "open in browser to view animated
GIF" ? This is ridiculous!

No wonder people don't want to upgrade Windows products right away, wait and
see what is screwed up first.

Unfortunately this is something we'll have to live with.
Pradeep Chauhan
2009-03-25 05:16:01 UTC

Yes, I agree with you. My wife sends me beautiful emails that I'm not able
to check out only bcoz Outlook07 viewer doesnt support it! I ask the outlook
team : Why this REGRESSION??? I too work for a reputed Co. that owns a
product. Whenever a regression occurs it is taken very very seriously but I
notice an iota of reaction in the outlook team & they are just giving
excuses. Guys c'mon this is a competitive world! No wonder if this text goes
to a developers working in Google, maybe we'll see a 'Google OutLook2009'
coming our way in this year dude!! & that too FREE!!!!

Cheers!! wake up MS!!
Pradeep
(India)
Steve
2009-04-03 00:32:06 UTC
So there is a security issue with animated gif's? Given that the security
issues are within MS Office products this is a simplistic solution that goes
backwards in functionality.

Wouldn't the most appropriate solution to have fixed the security issues?
Which probably still exist in any case.
K2SMN
2009-07-23 21:53:02 UTC
Post by Steve
So there is a security issue with animated gif's? Given that the security
issues are within MS Office products this is a simplistic solution that goes
backwards in functionality.
Wouldn't the most appropriate solution to have fixed the security issues?
Which probably still exist in any case.
There is NO SECURITY issue. I would be someone at Adobe, or the Microsoft
"Silverlight" division "paid off" the Office 2007 group to NOT include a
FREE, EASY, and widely available animation mechanism for email. I did a
full-court press on this when I first installed Office 2007 (what junk - use
Office 2003. It's so much more stable, easier to use - just plain better), I
discovered the email formatting problems. It's not just animated gifs not
working, it's a mess. No background graphics allowed, html email formatting
totally screwed up. When I pushed for an answer, the final word from
Microsoft was that is was DESIGNED that way ON PURPOSE! Go figure. For
examples: http://www.dxcc.com/whatup.html

Oh well, Gates left and it all fell apart.
(Wait until you try Internet Explorer 8 - it EATS websites!)

Roger, K2SMN
K2SMN
Roger, K2SMN
Ray
2009-08-07 01:05:01 UTC
I CANNOT believe Microsoft disabled Gifs in Outlook. If I had known I would
not have upgraded.

Damn you Bill Gates. You've ruined so many people's lives...